There were three men around the fire, with the smell of coffee and of bacon frying. It was a two-bit camp in mighty rough country, with three saddle-broncs and a packhorse standing under a lightning-struck cottonwood. "Howdy," I said. "You boys receivin' visitors, or is this a closed meetin'?" They were all looking me over, but one said, "You're here, mister. Light and set."
From "The Man From the Broken Hills" by Louis L'Amour


Monday, May 11, 2009

The Curse of "Are You My Mother"

I was reminded of this book this morning when I read Abraham Piper's blog post. It made me kind of nostalgic to see the book cover and got me to wondering when it was published.

I went over to Amazon to get the publish date and noticed that there were several one-star reviews of this book. I had to read them.

I mean, seriously, what's not to like about "Are You My Mother?"


Check out what this person had to say (regular text is pasted in below if the screen capture is too hard to read. ):

Here's the text of the review:

A CURSE! AN UTTER CURSE!

Many of you, "Parents", have exposed this book unto your families. Same thing with my mother. She exposed this story to me. But you know what I see in this book of evil? Scary images and ideas. Look at the dog for instance. Does he look like a "nice" dog to you? He didn't to me. He scarred the buttons of my shirt. Everytime I look at his eyes I fill with fear. But the idea of being seperated from your parents of the worst fear factor. AND in addition. NEVER EVER EVER BUY THE VIDEO THAT GOES WITH THIS BOOK! It has bizarre music that will stick in your childs minds while the sleep and haunt them. I had many nightmares about "Are You My Mother" and your kids shouldn't. NEVER BUY THIS BOOK!

"CURSE....Book of Evil....scary...fear" -- Wow. This is one scarred soul.

I have a mental picture of the reviewer. It includes long hair bound up in a hair net, and an ankle length, denim skirt (that's inside stuff for my fellow home educators).

Even more disturbing, to me, is that five other people found this review helpful.

Oh well. Don't forget the book burning at 5:00 PM tonight. Bring your Salman Rushdie and Dr. Suess!



2 comments:

JK said...

Everyone is a victim… right?

Still this was not published by the Dr. himself (Theodor Seuss Geisel) but his protégé P.D. Eastman.

Susan B. said...

You would know that, Josh.