There were three men around the fire, with the smell of coffee and of bacon frying. It was a two-bit camp in mighty rough country, with three saddle-broncs and a packhorse standing under a lightning-struck cottonwood. "Howdy," I said. "You boys receivin' visitors, or is this a closed meetin'?" They were all looking me over, but one said, "You're here, mister. Light and set."
From "The Man From the Broken Hills" by Louis L'Amour


Monday, May 21, 2007

Lust and Dragonflies


But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. James 1:14.

Ok, I’ll admit it.

I am a weak creature.

Subject to the very lusts and enticements that James wrote about. As I said, I am weak.

I give in to my impulses….too easily.

Recently, K-Ro and I were just hanging out together. Our wives were shopping. We weren’t looking to get into trouble – just waiting. Innocently.

At some point we found ourselves walking by the bright lights of one of those places. You know, one of those places.

This place had windows to tease the passers-by with the wares sold within. K-Ro and I couldn’t help but look. Looking doesn’t hurt right?

As I said, I am weak.

I don’t know who suggested that we go in, me or him. It doesn’t matter. We went in.

The lights, the music, the exotic pleasures displayed on tables before us. We got into trouble. We were drawn in. We lusted and were enticed. We indulged our fleshly impulses.

Before we left the business, the
Sharper Image store had fifty bucks from each of us, and we both had one of these:


Stupid impulse buy.

They have this thing displayed in the store like it’s some sort of idol, sitting on a pedestal. Then there’s the video looping over and over, showing the amazing ease and dexterity with which anyone can pilot this amazing flying machine in their own living room. It loops, it dives, it hovers…fantastic! I knew my life wouldn’t be fulfilled without it. K-Ro drooled beside me, and so I knew that he needed fulfillment too.

Stupid impulse buy.

Back at home, mine was broken before the batteries were charged --stupid antennae on the controller. I swiped the antennae from one of my kids remote control cars and I was back in business. I waited impatiently for the fifteen minutes it took to charge.

Finally! Ready to fly! Give it some power… gently waft it into the air like the video showed. Smack…to the floor. Try again… smack. Ok, I’ll read the instructions.


All right, I didn’t have the settings correct.. here we go! Smack. Smack, smack, smack… to the floor. Stupid impulse buy.

I wonder if Sharper Image will take this heap back.

3 comments:

josh said...

is this entry your way of apologizing to your wife? if so might i recommend more directly associating the stupidity with the person rather than the buy. this can be accomplished by replacing "stupid impulse buy" with "i am a stupid impulse buyer of 'heap'".

two guys in a toy store, this can almost never go right.

what is it about shopping with other people that makes us buy stupid stuff. we laugh at our wives for buying certain things, but remember, they almost always shop in herds. perhaps our more 'logical' purchasing abilities are only due to our lonely shopping habits?

they buy shoes they’ll never try
we buy toys that will never fly

DBro said...

You know what they say, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to seek permission", and "Stupid is as Stupid does".

Unknown said...

I sooooo want one of those!!!!