There were three men around the fire, with the smell of coffee and of bacon frying. It was a two-bit camp in mighty rough country, with three saddle-broncs and a packhorse standing under a lightning-struck cottonwood. "Howdy," I said. "You boys receivin' visitors, or is this a closed meetin'?" They were all looking me over, but one said, "You're here, mister. Light and set."
From "The Man From the Broken Hills" by Louis L'Amour


Monday, May 7, 2007

On the Rocks


I have a photo that I took last year of one of my two sons standing on a rock dike constructed on the navigable river where I work. I love this picture because it reminds me of the excitement he felt having ventured out there on his own. The dike is constructed of rocks ranging from 1' to 3' in diameter, and they roll and shift under your feet, making for treacherous passage. My son, 7 years old, precariously made his way out to the end of the 300' long dike -- he wanted to go alone. He's at the age where he wants to explore and try, taste and experiment - "what if? how? why? WHY?"

Also significant to me is that my youngest son, 5, is not in the photo. He was standing by my side when I took this picture. He preferred the safety of his father's side to the thrill and potential danger of exploration with his brother.

I guess at different times, I feel like both of them --adventurous and bold one minute, and fearful the next. I'm glad that the Savior told us "...I am with you always, even unto the end of the world" (Matt. 28:20).


Even as my oldest son ventured out alone, he never went more than a few paces without looking over his shoulder to smile at me. He knew he wasn't alone.

1 comment:

josh said...

how long was it after reading "wild at heart" that this took place? i have a friend that after reading it was driving along and came to a beautiful, but steep hill. his ~5 year old son was with him. he stopped and asked him if he would like to climb the mountain. "YEAH!" dad ended up being more blessed that day.

its cool that JESUS really seems to wants to assure us of two things in the matthew and john commissioning accounts: 1) his authority 2) his presence

“you can climb, and I’m right here.”

“i command you to climb, but I’m right here.”

“you can only climb, because I said you could, and I’m right here.”