There were three men around the fire, with the smell of coffee and of bacon frying. It was a two-bit camp in mighty rough country, with three saddle-broncs and a packhorse standing under a lightning-struck cottonwood. "Howdy," I said. "You boys receivin' visitors, or is this a closed meetin'?" They were all looking me over, but one said, "You're here, mister. Light and set."
From "The Man From the Broken Hills" by Louis L'Amour


Thursday, October 23, 2008

Droppin' the F-Bomb


It was bound to happen.

This week, my kids asked us what the f-word was.

At the tender ages of 7 and 9, they finally got introduced to the mighty and terrible mother-of-all-cusswords. Frankly, I am amazed that we managed to insulate it from them thus far in their lives. After all, that word permeates so much of our culture now.

“Where did you hear this word?” their mother and I calmly asked.

There were lots of answers that I expected to hear:

“From one of the big boys at the skateboard park.”
“From the TV.” You try and watch out for this one, but with cable, you never know, right?
“From some ‘Hell’s Angels’ biker who broke down on our street.”
“From Mom - she says it all the time.” Just kidding Michelle.

But, alas, it was none of the above. Where did my precious, innocent children hear the Mt. Everest of swearwords? It was from a soccer mom, living in our corner of suburbia, who was yelling at her own kid from her driveway. Apparently he had locked her out of the house, and she, on one side of the door and strongly desiring to be on the other side of the door where her child was, shouted “Open the f-ing door!!”

Nice, huh?

Makes me wonder where her kid first heard the f-bomb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know we all say unkind words or use unkind tones sometimes when we speak to others. Usually, the ones we live with see our "dark-side" the most. I read/ saw this prayer (over the verses Proverbs 6:20-23) somewhere recently and wrote it down. I try to read it everyday to remind myself to pray that God will use me -even tho' I fail so often... " O,LORD, teach me to impart Your truth so it remains even when I fail." michelle