There were three men around the fire, with the smell of coffee and of bacon frying. It was a two-bit camp in mighty rough country, with three saddle-broncs and a packhorse standing under a lightning-struck cottonwood. "Howdy," I said. "You boys receivin' visitors, or is this a closed meetin'?" They were all looking me over, but one said, "You're here, mister. Light and set."
From "The Man From the Broken Hills" by Louis L'Amour


Thursday, October 30, 2008

You're Not So Welcome

Manners are important to me.

I strive to observe them and I endeavor to teach their use to my kids.

The lack of manners exhibited in people today is one of my biggest pet peaves. Our culture is quickly dispensing with the basic use of "Please" and "Thank You".

Here's an interesting piece from Boundless Line about the replacement of "You're Welcome".

http://www.boundlessline.org/2008/10/whatever-happen.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got a problem with habitually saying "no problem".

Anonymous said...

I was going to say that people saying "no problem" instead of "thank you" really bothers me; but I love Josh so I'll let it slide :)