There were three men around the fire, with the smell of coffee and of bacon frying. It was a two-bit camp in mighty rough country, with three saddle-broncs and a packhorse standing under a lightning-struck cottonwood. "Howdy," I said. "You boys receivin' visitors, or is this a closed meetin'?" They were all looking me over, but one said, "You're here, mister. Light and set."
From "The Man From the Broken Hills" by Louis L'Amour


Monday, February 2, 2009

Getting Catechized

Catechism.

I have always had a knee jerk reaction to that word. I associated it with the Catholic faith -- that the Catechism was something Catholics read, sort of their rulebook.

Who knew that the word simply means "instruct" or "teach"?

Anyway, I'm starting a study of a Baptist Catechism that is based on the Westminster Catechism. I wrote about it over at Gloria Dei.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Similarly we never studied Saint Augustine - gasp, he's a Saint and that's what Catholics have!