There were three men around the fire, with the smell of coffee and of bacon frying. It was a two-bit camp in mighty rough country, with three saddle-broncs and a packhorse standing under a lightning-struck cottonwood. "Howdy," I said. "You boys receivin' visitors, or is this a closed meetin'?" They were all looking me over, but one said, "You're here, mister. Light and set."
From "The Man From the Broken Hills" by Louis L'Amour


Monday, November 10, 2008

Derek Webb in Concert

Friday night I drove down to Edmond, OK with Josh, Patrick, and my sons to see Derek Webb and friends in concert. I was already familiar with Derek both as a solo artist and with his work with Caedmon's Call. Having seen him perform live, I have to confirm that I am a now a fan. What a great evening of music with Derek, his wife Sandra McCracken, Water Deep, and Ali Rogers.

Derek's music is not for everyone, I suppose. He offers up unapologetic critiques of materialism, politics, and particularly the church with a call for her to return to her first love. You can download Derek's newest album The Ringing Bell for free at noisetrade.com.

Here's a sample that you won't be hearing on christian radio anytime soon:

Photo credit: Wikipedia.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good times.