There were three men around the fire, with the smell of coffee and of bacon frying. It was a two-bit camp in mighty rough country, with three saddle-broncs and a packhorse standing under a lightning-struck cottonwood. "Howdy," I said. "You boys receivin' visitors, or is this a closed meetin'?" They were all looking me over, but one said, "You're here, mister. Light and set."
From "The Man From the Broken Hills" by Louis L'Amour


Friday, November 21, 2008

Sports Heros


I bet if you asked 1,000 kids to name the athlete they most admire, not one would answer with "J.P. Hayes".

Hayes is a professional golfer.

Now I don't follow golf, and so I am not familiar with Mr. Hayes or his abilities. I did, however, catch this story on the blogosphere and think that it is worthy of sharing:

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/J-P-Hayes-is-as-honest-as-we-like-to-think-we-a?urn=golf,123304
(Photo credit to same ht).

Integrity is a rare enough attribute now-a-days that our kids ought to be reminded that there is more to being a great athlete than scoring points, or goals, or making par.



No comments: